9.18.2009

chi town

Last weekend we went on a fun little family get-a-way to CHICAGO. Why Chicago? Well cause that's were we got a hotel, and it's only a 6 hour drive. We stayed with some friends that live just outside of the city on Sat and they were so nice to let us crash. On Sunday we headed into the city. Our hotel was right on the lake, which made it very convenient since we pretty much walked everywhere (to save on ridiculous parking charges.)
We found a really fun children's museum that we got into for free!! So we went there a few times cause the kids loved it.
We walked around Millennium park. The kids favorite part was the giant silver "jelly bean"
We took a boat tour of the city which was really cool and then we went up the John Hancock bldg.

We, of course, had some famous deep dish Chicago style pizza from Giordano's. E is giving some cheese to honor all the cheese pizza he just ate. I think I'm still stuffed from it.

Rode the ferris wheel at Navy Pier.

Went to the Lincoln Park Zoo. It is a really fun zoo and it's FREE so that makes it even more great.The kids were soooo good on the drive. We had a few meltdowns while in Chicago, but for the most part it was a fabulous trip. We all had so much fun and E has asked everyday since when we are going back!
Thanks Chicago for such a great vacation.
Posted by Picasa

9 comments:

Nicole and Scott Kesten said...

happy you were able to do 2 rounds of chicago style pizza! can't wait for the next visit!!

you should come out at winter time.. they do "zoo lights".. .another fun FREE event and the macy windows. :)

Jessica said...

looks like you guys had a great time! We LOVE Chicago:-) We are actually going in a couple of weeks with Andy's parents. Reading your post has made me even more excited. We will have to go and get Pizza at that place, we have never eaten there before. So fun!

The Reed Family said...

that sounds fun! I am hoping we can get out and see more of our island this year on some mini family vacations (okay maybe we just need overnight, our island is only 100 miles by 35 miles) but jim has been SO busy! We'll see, there are still so many things I want to see! I love all the free things you found and I especially love how molly looks like she is trying to evade your grasp and jump out of the ferris wheel! Hold on tight!! Glad you had such a great time!

Jen said...

So fun! I saw your mom today and she told me you guys went there. We're actually headed to Chicago this week...without kids:) Looks like you had a blast!

Aaron and Jessie said...

That looks so fun. I had no idea you guys are so to Chicago. Are the museum and zoo always free? How perfect is that??? Are you liking Cleveland? We seriously need to get out there in the fall one of these years, I'm sure it is gorgeous! I'm glad we got to see you this summer, hope all is good1

J.R. and Meg +3 said...

What a fun family trip!! I love the last photo of cute Molly in the hat. So glad the drive went well with the kiddos. The deep dish Chicago pizza is totally yummy.

Krystal Trapnell said...

Chicago is such a cool city. We loved visiting. Looks like you had a great trip!

Malinovka said...

Emily, what a fun trip! We are planning a trip to Chicago in a couple of weeks too! Can you email me the places you went, and what was free, what you'd recommend, etc.? Do you still have my email address? You can leave a comment on my blog too. Can't wait for the pizza! :)

Cammie said...

We were in Chicago in Aug. it is so much fun for families.