3.14.2008

Stubborn must run in the family

Okay so Scott and are are trying to decide who carries the stubborn gene (most likely me) because we now have not only one stubborn child but will soon have TWO! Don't get me wrong Ethan is a very sweet, nice boy and I love him to pieces, but there is no denying he's got a stubborn streak and apparently his unborn sister has decided to follow in his footsteps.

On wed we found out that the baby was sitting breach so today we went to the hospital to try and have her flipped. I was told that it would be really painful so I mentally prepared for the worst. I'm glad I did because it's really not that bad, more uncomfortable than painful. There was a Doctor and a resident, one on each side. One took the head and the other took the butt and they basically pushed as hard as they could on the outside of my stomach to try and turn the baby. Think of it as like really deep tissue massage for your stomach. Anyways they tried three times to push her around into a head down position. They actually were able to turn the head all the way around to where it should be but unfortunately they couldn't get her to move the other half of her body. So she was basically being folded in half and wouldn't move her butt. It was frustrating because they were so close to successfully flipping her but she was just too stubborn to move her butt.

So now I have to have a c-section which I'm not thrilled about! But at least I have a week or so to get used to the idea. It really is not the c-section itself that I'm worried about, it's more the fact that I have to have one and don't have any say in the matter. I'm sure when the day comes it won't be a big deal, it's just not how I planned things and that is always frustrating to me. Anyways the good news is that both baby and I are very healthy and that is really all that matters. But everyone say a little prayer that she will decide to flip on her own during the next week.

8 comments:

Amanda and Ryan McCarty said...

I am sorry that you are going to have to have a c-section. I am sure that everything will be fine. There is a lady in my ward who swears that is the only way to have a baby. So maybe there is some truth to that. I don't know. Our prayers are with you and baby.

Michelle Y said...

Wow, you'll do great no matter what! Do they already have a day scheduled to do the c-section? Can't wait to hear more about things and it looks like you got a ton of cute things at your shower!

theSwensenFamily said...

I completely understand how you're feeling. I was totally disappointed when they told me I would have to have a c-section with my twins since my boy was breach. Like you said, it's not what you know or had in mind. It's a completely different experience but just as wonderful. You have to remember it's best for the baby and YOU! You'll do great! Be sure to take it easy those first six weeks.

I can't wait to see pictures of this little girl! Oh, and I'm with you on 2 1/2 year olds being stubborn. Macy is driving me crazy with this independence streak of hers.

Darcy and Shawn Patterson said...

What!! I didn't even know she was breech! Well, I've only had a c-section and can't compare the two but I have to say that the c-section wasn't as bad as i anticipated...
no labor pains
the baby is out in like 5 minutes
the date is set! no surprises...
still I know it's not the ideal way to go... then again, is there really any perfect exit!! I'll call you!

Cammie said...

Emily that is sucky! I know how you feel...exactly. It is a tough place to be in. I had a c-section with Canon. I actually had no choice, we couldn't even do the external-cephalic-version because of my anatomical malformations. But, I did read that swimming on tummy and doing headstands...how realistic is that!...can help turn the baby. You never know what odd thing may work.
Good luck!

Jessica said...

Oh, I am sorry you have to have a c-section. Both Isaac and Seth were C-sections. Hopefully she will turn on her own. If not you are right in saying at least you are both healthy. That is what is most important. I wish you the best of luck. I can't wait to see picture's of her!

Evaly said...

Bummer! Good luck, I'm sure everything will be work out for the best.

Mango said...

Wow! Sounds like it is going to be crazy at your place for a bit! But you will do great! I hope all is well with you guys! Good Luck!